When an employee is leaving your organisation, myhrtoolkit can easily be updated to reflect this change.
Only managers or controllers can set an employee as a leaver in myhrtoolkit. If you cannot find options mentioned in this document, please ask your controller to revise your access privileges.
Setting a Leaver
To set an employee as a leaver, search for them using the search bar from
Management > Leavers > Set Leaver.
(For users of the previous leavers module: this replaces ticking the person that is leaving.)
Once the user is selected, you'll be presented with their personal and emergency contact information and be asked to confirm that your selection is correct.
Following this, you'll be asked to enter their leaving date, reason for leaving and if/when you'd like a notification to be sent - see image below.
Lastly, once this information is submitted, you'll be shown the User's leaving summary. You can print this using the "Print" button at the top right.
Select multiple employees only if the employees are leaving on the same date.
Follow the wizard and complete the rest of the process.
In the final step, the system will display the calculated final holiday entitlement, showing you whether the employee over booked or has outstanding holidays. You also get the option to upload exit documents. These can be uploaded later if you cannot do it now.
Viewing the Archive
When an employee's leaving date has been set, they will be placed into the Archive which can be accessed via
Management > Leavers > Archive.
(For users of the previous leavers module: This page is similar to the old Leavers Archive but with some added functionality).
When you view the Leavers Archie, you will first see a table of information. To the right of each user record is an "Actions" button allowing you do to the following:
- Amend Leaving Date - If the user hasn't left yet
- Configure Data Retention Settings - Allows setting of Individual Data Retention profile (where permission by a Controller is granted)
- Reinstate - If the user is yet to be processed
- View the Leaver's Summary
- View the Users 'Employee File'
- Upload Exit Documents
Processed Leavers Area
"Processing", this refers to how a leaver's data is handled based on the organisation's Data Retention Policy; there are three options:
- Never Process - The leaver will remain in the Archive (detailed previously) - this is the default setting.
- Process User - Specified aspects of a Leavers personal information will be removed in accordance with your organisation's Data Retention Policy. The Leaver is moved to the Processed Leavers area.
- Full Deletion - The Leaver will be completely removed from the Toolkit.
An email is sent to all Controllers seven days before the processing of leavers. The email highlights which users are being processed and the date the will be processed on.
Note: Once processed, you can no longer reinstate a user but can still view their remaining information. - More information on this can be found in the Data Retention Policy section of the guide.
In the Processed Leavers area is a comprehensive User Table - see image below. To the right of each user record is an "Actions" button, allowing you to access the following:
- Data Retention Settings - Allows setting of Individual Data Retention profile (where permission granted)
- Process History - If the user has been processed multiple times
- Leaver's Summary
- Employee File
- Exit Documents
Data Retention Policy - Controllers
The Toolkit allows the configuration of an organisation-wide policy to manage the retention/deletion of ex-users' personal information.
This functionality can be accessed by Controllers via
Setup & Admin > Data Retention Policy.
The default setting is to never process Leavers, thereby retaining all leavers' information indefinitely. However, this can be changed to either process the Leaver (strip out data fields) or to fully delete the user and all of their data - see the Processed Leavers Area section of this guide.
Allows the removal of certain personal information, including anonymising the record when processed. From this section you can configure:
- How long a Leavers' data is retained before being processed
- Whether the Leavers' record is anonymised
- Which personal information should be removed:
- Emergency Contact Information
- Skype Name
- National Insurance Number
- Home Email
- Personal Telephone Number
- Employee Number
- Employee Photo
Note - The removal of personal information is permanent and cannot be reversed.
Changes to the Data Retention Policy
A Controller can amend the Data Retention Policy at any time.
Whenever additional deletions are set;
- There is a minimum 7-day grace period for all unprocessed Leavers - i.e. those in the Archive.
- There is an option to apply any additional deletions to all previously processed Leavers. Once selected, these are applied immediately.
This causes a Leaver's record and all associated data to be fully removed as per the timing set in the Data Retention Policy.
It will no longer be viewable, and the Leaver will no longer appear in any report calculations.
Note - This process cannot be reversed.
Individual Data Retention Settings - Controllers and Managers
Managers can be given permission to set their own Individual Data Retention Settings for Leavers they manage via
Setup & Admin > User Permissions.
In the Archive or Processed Leavers section, clicking the "Actions" button and selecting "Data Retention Settings" allows configuration of that individual Leaver's settings.
The options follow the organisation-wide Data Retention Policy options but with the ability to process a Leaver immediately. If this is set to yes, it will override the 7-day grace period and enact the processing straight away.
If a Leaver is processed via Individual Data Retention settings, they will be excluded from any subsequent update made via the organisation-wide Data Retention Policy. If required they can be switched back to the organisation-wide policy, however, this will not replace any previously deleted information.
Note - Once data fields have been removed from a Leaver's record, using the Individual Data Retention Settings, they can no longer be retreived in the future.