This guide will help in navigating the process by which new employees are added to myhrtoolkit, and how new starter accounts are processed.
When a new employee starts they can be brought into your myhrtoolkit installation by starting the New employee wizard from the management toolbar.
The wizard will walk you through the stages of setting up thew new starter.
- With each page mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk (*) , all others are optional and can be updated later via other settings pages in the system.
- Some pages have a button to allow you to skip the current step. The information contained on the page can be updated elsewhere in the system at a later date.
- Various pages will have options which require further confirmation. The confirmation(s) will be presented after submitting the page.
- At any point during the wizard, you can save your position and return to it later. To resume the wizard, an entry is created at the bottom of your Management message board.
Only what has been submitted up to that point will be saved, so any new data on the current page will not be saved.
Step 1: Employee's name
In the first section, you simply need to enter the new employee's names and title.
When each page has been complete, clicking Submit will move to the next section.
Step 2: Employment start date and probationary period
The next step relates to standard starting details for the employee. If a probationary period has been specified here, you will be asked to confirm who will receive an email about it when it ends.
Step 3: Employee's Work and Personal Details
This step allows you to specify the employee's work and personal details. If their specific job title doesn't exist in the drop-down box, you are able to add a new one using the Add new job title button.
Step 4: Access Rights
This step relates to the employee's access rights to the Toolkit and is spread over 4 pages.
- Page 1 - The default settings is that an employee will have access to your myhrtoolkit installation (with their own login name and password). However, there may be cases where you wish to have an employee recorded in the system, but not require them to access the system. We refer to this as a record only employee. The first page allows you to make that choice.
- Page 2 - The next page relates to controller access. The default is that the employee is not a controller. Employees should only be set up as such with care as this option gives them complete access to the whole system.
- Page 3 - This lets you grant the new employee line manager privileges. Again, the default for this option is that they will not have this access. If management access is granted, they will only be able to see details of employees whom they manage.
- Page 4 - The final page is where you assign the new starter to their manager(s).
Step 5: System email
Step 5 is where you record an employee's system email address. This is the email address that is used for notification emails sent by myhrtoolkit.
Step 6: Document Library
In this step, you can upload various documents relating to the new employee such as their contract, CV and more; and (in part 2) you can also assign them any company-wide documents that are already uploaded to your Toolkit such as a Company handbook.
Step 7: Appraisals
The Appraisals set up in Step 7 allows you to create an appraisal for the new employee and various other options relating to it. The employee will then be entered into an appraisal cycle along with their manager (or another manager depending on your organisation's preferences).
Step 8: Hours Status
In Step 8 you can configure the "Hours Status" of the new employee. Using this, you can specify if the employee will be Full Time, Part Time or Variable Hours.
Step 9: Holiday entitlement (Fixed hours)
If, in step 8, you specified that the employee is either Full Time or Part Time, you will then be prompt to enter the employee's annual holiday entitlement. This can be set as either Days or Hours and you can also specify if bank holidays are included or excluded in the entitlement you've entered.
Step 10: Holiday Groups
The holiday groups step lets you choose whether the employee is able to self-authorise their own holidays (the default option is that they cannot).
If they are not allowed to self-authorise their holidays, they have to be assigned to a holiday group so they have somebody to authorise their holiday requests.
Step 11: Hours Worked Profile
If any hours worked profiles have been created, Step 11 allows you to assign a profile to the new employee.
An hours worked profile allows allows you to specify a person's normal working pattern. Once assigned, the hours worked profile will then feed into the monthly Calendar so you can see when the employee is normally in and when they are not.
Step 12: Basic Pay
Here you can add the employee's basic pay information and add any relevant notes or documents too.
If the new employee is part time, the full time pay you enter will be pro-rated for you (unless the payment type is set to either Daily or Hourly).
Step 13: Benefits
If any benefits have been created by the system administrator, these can then be assigned to the new employee if they are due to receive them.
When you have reached the end of the new employee wizard, you will be presented with a summary page showing you the information you have setup. If there are any inaccuracies, following the relevant Amend link will allow you to change that data.
Step 14: System Access
When you are satisfied that all the information is correct you can choose whether you'd like to send the new employee their welcome email. If you do, the email will be sent on the employee's start date if they start in the future or straight away if they start 'today' or in the past.
Once arrived, the employee can click on the link within the welcome email to login and create their username and password.
The welcome link is time sensitive and will expire after 30 days.
Afterwards, you can also choose if you'd like to notify other staff of the new starter too. The staff this notification is sent to is configured by your Toolkit's Controller.
If the employee you created is in a location outside of England & Wales, you can choose which type of currency should be used instead via
Config > System > Organisation structure. The default is GBP.