This guide will help in navigating the process by which new employees are added to myhrtoolkit, and how new starter accounts are processed.
When a new employee starts they can be brought into your myhrtoolkit installation by starting the New employee wizard from the management toolbar.
The wizard will walk you through the stages of setting up thew new starter.
- With each page mandatory fields are marked with a *, all others are optional and can be updated later via other settings pages in the system.
- Some pages have a button to allow you to skip the current step. The information contained on the page can be updated elsewhere in the system at a later date.
- Various pages will have options which require further confirmation. The confirmation(s) will be presented after submitting the page.
- At any point during the wizard, you can save your position and return to it later. To resume the wizard, an entry is created at the bottom of your Management message board.
Note: Only what has been submitted up to that point will be saved, so any new data on the current page will not be saved.
1. Employee's name
When each page has been filled, clicking Submit will move to the next section.
2. Employment start date and probationary period.
The second page relates to standard starting details for the employee. If a probationary period has been specified here, you will be asked to confirm who will receive an email about it when it ends.
At any point in the process you can press the Save link at the top of the page and the wizard will be paused, to be resumed at a later stage (or removed as required).
3. Step 3 will allow you to specify the employee's work and personal details. If their specific job title doesn't exist in the drop-down box, you are able to add a new one using the Add new job title button.
4. Step 4 relates to the employee's access rights to the system, and is spread over a few pages.
- The default settings is that an employee will have access to your myhrtoolkit installation (with their own login name and password). However, there may be cases where you wish to have an employee recorded in the system, but not require them to access the system. We refer to this as a record only employee. The first page allows you to make that choice.
- The next page relates to controller access. The default is that the user not be a controller, and users should only be set up as such with care as this option gies them complete access to all other employee's private details and the configuration of the whole installation.
- Page 3 of Step 4 gives you the option to make the new user a manager. The default, again, is that they will not have this level of access. If management access is granted, the user will only be able to see details of employees whom they manage.
- The final page is where you assign the new starter to their manager(s).
5. The page for Step 5 contains text relating to the system email address. This is the email address that is used for notification emails sent by myhrtoolkit.
6. Step 6 allows you to populate the new user's document library with their contract, CV, etc.; and (in part 2) give them access to general company documents, such as the company handbook.
7. The Appraisals set up in Step 7 allows you to assign the new user an appraisal profile and various other options relating to it. The user will then be entered into an appraisal cycle with their manager (or another manager depending on your organisation's preferences).
8. In Step 8 you can configure the Hours status of the new employee. There is on screen help, and further information can be found here.
9. Steps 9 and 10 relate to Holidays. These do not have to be set up here and can be updated at a later time, but it is recommended that they are as it simplifies the user's experience of the system as they first start to use it.
10. The final steps (11 to 13) are for hours status, pay and benefits. There is text guidance on pages that need it.
11. When you have completed filling out the new employee's details you will be presented with a summary page. If inaccuracies have been put in, following the relevant Amend link will allow you to change that data.
12. When you are satisfied that all the information is correct and have submitted the page, myhrtoolkit will email an encrypted link which will enable them to set their username and password. The link is time limited, so encourage them to act promptly.
13. New starters reports. Following the reports icon on the management toolbar, there are two reports which show details about new starters.
- Starters & Leavers - Shows by name the new starters and employees who have left (excluding deleted employees). This is filterable by calendar year, or by a rolling 12 month window.
- Starters Analysis - Gives raw figures for the number of new employees entered into your myhrtoolkit installation by month and by year.
Note: If the user you created is in a location outside of England & Wales, you can choose which type of currency should be used instead via
Setup & Admin > International currencies. If none are selected, it will default to GBP.